Tuesday, October 9, 2012

GReT Sword Version I

This...... is one of my most favorite projects. It consists of five separate swords (base, fore, aft, and two identical sides)that all fit together to make something giant and beautiful and overtly badass.

This one is a slight revision of the first Graduated Resistance Training (GReT [a joke for me]) sword I made. It was made of pine, so it was weaker than it could have been and every component sword broke in some place or another, but the plan was solid and the product was good, if a little rough. The method by which the components lock together is a series of pegs that slide through the sections. It works well, it just makes it impossible to interchange stuff mid-match.

The handles of the fore and aft sections are actually not connected to the swords' hilts at all; they're held in place in the hilts by their own pegs, and if you remove the pegs, the handles can be pulled out, allowing the minor hilts of those two to fit into the major hilt of the base sword. That's not my favorite setup, but I got a little more creative with the other versions.

I like getting a workout from my practices, and having a sword whose weight I can increase when I get used to it is a HUGE benefit for me. I love this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment