Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Some Definitions of Mine

If you've never played an RPG of any kind or for any other reason don't know what I mean when I talk about a greatsword or a rapier or stuff like that, this will clear that up. At least with regard to this particular forum.... They're my own definitions of different types of swords. I'll do my best to follow this terminology everywhere in my blog. Bear in mind, though, the true definitions of these things are probably different. This is just for the purpose of establishing standards within this blog.

-Sword: any bladed weapon whose blade is (1) significantly longer than the handle, (2) significantly longer than it is broad, and (3) longer than fifteen inches.

-Knife: see "Sword" counts 1 and 2, with a blade length of up to fifteen inches.

-Dirk: a "Sword" of any breadth with length over fifteen inches, up to two feet.

-Short Sword: a "Sword" whose blade is up to three feet long.

-Long Sword: a "Sword" with a blade length exceeding three feet.

-Rapier: a "Sword" with blade breadth up to an inch and a half.

-Broad Sword: a "Sword" with a blade breadth exceeding three inches.

-Greatsword: a "Sword" that is both "Long" and "Broad".

-Bastard Sword: a "Sword" whose handle can't quite accommodate both hands.

Hope this helps you to know what I'm referring to elsewhere in these posts. Email me if you have any nits to pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment