Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Codename: the Barracuda

I finished this sword just recently. It's the first in a line of weapons I'm classifying as "diform". I use that word because I'm not sure if there's already one that means the same thing, and it sounds markedly badass, I think. Any diform weapon of mine will have (go figure) two distinct configurations. Above is the bastard sword form. In this configuration there are two handles, which I wrapped in baseball bat grip tape. There are no words for how much I like the grip tape. In addition to providing FAR superior purchase for the hand as opposed to naked wood, which will eventually look dirty and ugly from sweat, oil and dead skin, it fills the hand more comfortably, which I submit makes the weapon feel lighter and easier to use. Anyway, using the higher grip alone will decrease the perceived weight of the sword and provide a handguard, using the lower grip will add range, and using both at the same time gives added control. This configuration is meant for delivering heavy blows that break through direct defenses.

Below is the double sword form. Use this when you need more universal defense and more rapid attack patterns. The rapier has its own handguard and is really very basic and easy to use. The short sword is weighted uniquely and takes a steady wrist to use effectively, but for DEVELOPING wrist strength, it's ideal.

The rapier slides through a shaft in the hilt of the short sword and relies on simple friction to stay in the bastard sword form, so if you swing from the rapier handle alone, the short sword MAY fly off. Don't uhh.... don't do that. It'll get damaged....

This is the first diform weapon I've seen through to fruition, But there WILL be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment